Wednesday, January 15, 2014

I got tired of waiting for milk so I got Summer



This took some serious work on my part.  Almost a year has gone by at this point and my house has burned down leaving me with no place to go aside from my dads.  Not only did my dad take in my son and I but also all of my animals.  He was happy to have Sweet Pea and Poppy around again and my dog is loved by everyone.  I don't think he was quite as thrilled to have 11 chickens though!  Lets not forget about the cat too...

Now that I'm living with my dad I have to get permission for everything.  He threw such a big fit about me wanting to breed Sweet Pea and Poppy that I finally gave up on the idea.  He wanted them to remain 'babies' FOREVER.  Never mind the fact that I bought goats specifically to have milk. Well, that's not entirely true.  Milk was the original draw but I soon fell in love with goats in general and it spiraled from there.

By now I have discovered the many benefits of kefir and have been making it for at least a few months.  Actually, at least 7 months.  Originally, I made kefir water from coconut water as dairy products don't do me any favors.  My dad has no issues with dairy so I got him dairy kefir grains.  The amount of money spent on coconut water and coconut milk for each of our kefir strains was really getting out of hand.  If I'm not mistaken we were collectively spending around $65 a month just to feed our grains.  I had also stumbled upon certain information pointing towards water kefir not containing nearly the same amount of probiotics as dairy kefir.  Well, what to do now?

I'll tell you what!  Get a milk goat!!  I agreed to give up on the idea of breeding the 'babies' if I could get a milk goat.  I was shocked to get a yes on that one.  I found a pregnant goat and we went and got her.  I still had to wait almost 2 whole months for the arrival of the milk but the excitement was well worth it.

March 1st is when the real excitement began.  I noticed her the minute her labor started and I was with her the entire time.  She had a rough time.  I had to assist with the second born.  And, the most shocking part of all?  There was no milk for these babies.  This 'milk goat' I bought was defective.  She had no milk!  How could this happen?

I realized afterwards that even people with the best intentions and biggest hearts aren't always knowledgeable about goats.  This poor goat was so deficient that I'm surprised she was able to carry the pregnancy.  It's because of her that I now know so much about goats.  She is so much healthier now than when we got her and is due to kid VERY soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment